Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I Have Been a "Real" Teacher for a Week!

I have officially been teaching at Cornel for a week now! I already love my job very much and all of my adorable kiddos. I am teaching what is called here Shaban and at home would be a Pre-K class. My students are three and they will turn four by the end of the year. I currently have eight students and will be getting at least one more come fall. I am co-teaching with a wonderful Chinese teacher named Maggie. She was with these children last spring in the nursery, so she already knows them very well. Maggie is super sweet and is always bringing me new foods or different kinds of tea to try.

And because I like lists and bullet points, here's some things about school here in Taiwan that are different from schools that I have worked in in the states.


  • My workday looks like this:
    • 8:00-8:50 Prep
    • 8:50-9:10 Outside Play
    • 9:10-9:40 Go Inside/Water/Bathrooms/Morning Snack
    • 9:40-10:30 Circle/Centers Time
    • 10:30-11:00 Library/Ball Pit/Art Room/Play Room/Pool (depending on the day)
    • 11:00-12:00 Prep
    • 12:00-2:30 Lunch
    • 2:30-4:00 English Lessons
        When I first saw the schedule I could not believe how much prep time was allotted throughout the day.   I have never seen a school in the states that gives teachers that much time to plan and prep. I                   absolutely love having it throughout the day. I use that time to make sure that everything is perfect for my    lessons and activities for the day. It is so great to have that time to do all of the things that I need to do for school during the school day so then I can go home and be a normal person. I am going to be spoiled rotten here and never be happy working an American schools schedule again


  • The students change clothes and get their hair fixed anytime they get sweaty. Whether they get sweaty from playing outside, in the ball pit or from dancing. My kids change at least three times a day. 
  • The students are required to eat everything they are given at snacks and meals. They are not allowed to throw anything away. 
  • Teachers and kids are only allowed to wear indoor shoes or go barefoot in the building. Best rule ever. 
  • Worksheets and other kinds of table work are not only encouraged, but expected even at this young of an age. I have never given a three year old a worksheet until coming here. 
  • By the end of kindergarten (age 6), most of the children are able to read books on their own, write multiple sentences and do math that I would never be given a second grader back home. It absolutely amazes me. 
  • I don't have a desk in my classroom. The Chinese teacher has one in the classroom and I have one in the workroom. 
  • There is an A/C in each classroom and the workroom, but the hallways and other common spaces do not have A/C so they are so hot!
  • The Chinese staff is unbelievably helpful and is always popping in and out of the room to see if there is anything I need help with. It has been so nice to have their support this last week! 
  • The students call me Teacher Cassie. 
I'm sure I'll come up with more to add to my list. But for now, enjoy these adorable pictures!

Making hand prints to put outside of our classroom

Playing in the ball pit. I work at the coolest school ever. 

Learning our good morning song

Playing kitchen

Painting numbers

Playing the "Where Is the Mouse?" game

Math with puppets 

Talking about our feelings. 

Dancing to "If You're Happy and You Know It"

Making Play-doh faces

 Making Play-doh faces

Making Play-doh faces

Playing chase on the playground

Drawing faces

Painting hands on the first day of school

I made all of my kiddos do this. Thank you Pinterest!







But seriously, how adorable are they?




Dancing

Being silly

They do this every single time I bring a camera out



Just hanging out in the ball pit



Thank you to Maggie and Cornel for taking the majority of these photos! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment